Athletes Can Learn More About Athlete Leadership Programs
The Athlete Leadership Program (ALPS) empowers athletes to develop leadership skills and to utilize their skills to take on meaningful leadership roles and influence change in the Special Olympics movement. Through ALPS athletes have the opportunity to explore non-traditional ways of getting involved and learn how to use their voices to bring awareness of their abilities and help create more inclusive communities. We know there are many athletes throughout the state that could be exceptional Athlete Ambassadors. We want the opportunity to spread the word about the ALPS program and inspire them to apply for the 2023 class. SOKY will host a virtual introduction to the Athlete Leadership Program on Tuesday, July 26th at 7pm EST/ 6 pm Central via zoom. Athletes with promising leadership capabilities that are interested in tuning in can register HERE.
Below are some of the selection requirements that should be considered when determining who may be a good fit for this program:
- Athletes should be actively involved year-round within the SOKY Program.
- Athletes should demonstrate appropriate behaviors, i.e. gets along with others, has positive outlook, is dependable, and demonstrates polite behaviors and good sportsmanship.
- Willingness to help when needed and motivate others.
- Athletes should be able to provide Input about various topics on a regular basis.
- Athletes must be at least 15 years of age or older.
- Be willing to commit to assisting their local program.
For additional information please feel free to contact Kelli Firquin at email@example.com or 502-695-8222.